The Foundation course provides the prerequisite for all of the other modules. This one day practical training module will allow staff to:
- Understand disability and inclusion related issues
- Understand the needs of disabled people when accessing facilities or opportunities
- Take access and equity issues out of the ‘too-hard-to-handle basket’ and provide tools for developing competence and confidence to work in a more inclusive manner
- Better understand the legal requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act.
- To evaluate current understanding and experience of disability and build a framework for its development
- To identify and understand barriers facing disabled people when accessing facilities or opportunities
- To develop a common understanding of equity issues with colleagues/peers and a common language with which to work
- To explore individual and/or organisational action plans for further development
- To identify how the Disability Discrimination Act affects working practices and how to use it as an opportunity for development
- To provide a basic understanding of Equal Adventure’s principles of inclusive practice.
NB: A separate Policy and Procedure module is available to build on this Foundation, looking at issues relating to the design and implementation of inclusive practices, procedures and policies.
This classroom-based course highlights inclusion and diversity issues, social trends and barriers to participation. We look at how to use your existing knowledge to best effect, to develop a more inclusive practice and a practical understanding of how people differ.
Who Should Attend
This is an awareness level course. The course is designed for all staff and/or management of organisations who wish to gain an understanding of disability issues that will lead to a ‘can do’ approach to inclusive practice. The broader the range of staff who attend, the more inclusive your activities and services will become.
Full day (condensed half day modules can be delivered, please enquire).
Use the EAT Practice Modules to apply the principles of this course to your activities.